The Odyssey Writing Workshops Charitable Trust is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization formed with a simple yet inspiring mission: to help developing writers of fantasy, science fiction, and horror improve their work.
If you're a writer of fantastic fiction, Odyssey's programs and resources are designed to help you take your writing to the next level. Odyssey is based on the principle that the journey to become the best writer one can be is lifelong. If a writer wants to reach his full potential, to have his work live and grow along with him, he needs to constantly strive to improve. Because of this, the Odyssey Writing Workshops Charitable Trust offers feedback and guidance to writers at all levels, from beginners to successful professionals.
Odyssey offers a variety of programs for writers:
- Odyssey Writing Workshop: Our intensive, six-week, in-person workshop is held each summer in Manchester, NH, and is widely considered one of the best workshops in the world for writers of fantasy, science fiction, and horror. It is intended for writers whose work is nearing publication quality and for published writers who want to improve their work.
- Odyssey Online Classes: Several online courses are offered each winter. Each course is focused on a specific element of fiction writing and designed for writers at a particular skill level, from beginner to advanced. Courses are rigorous and demanding, and include live class interaction between students and the instructor.
- Odyssey Critique Service: Any writer can receive professional-level feedback on his fiction writing through our critique service. Critiquers are graduates of the Odyssey Writing Workshop who have gone on to successful careers as professional writers. Critiques are thorough, specific, and in depth.
- Odyssey Consultations: One-hour, live, online consultations with Odyssey Director Jeanne Cavelos are available for writers who would like to talk out some writing problem. Those uncertain how to develop a particular idea, stuck in the middle of a story or novel, or struggling with any other problem they'd like to discuss are welcome to set up a consultation.
Odyssey also offers many free resources for writers:
- Odyssey Podcasts: These audio excerpts from lectures by guest writers, editors, and agents at the Odyssey Writing Workshop provide a wonderful educational resource. You'll find a new podcast posted every month or two.
- Odyssey Salon: Join us online and share your webcam for lively, intelligent discussion of writing issues. The salon is held each Wednesday at 7:30 PM ET. Whether you're a new writer or a successful pro, you'll come away energized by new ideas.
- Odyssey Blog: Our monthly blog posts include writing advice and interviews with writers about writing.
- Writing Tips and Publishing Tips: As time allows, new tips are posted, offering valuable information. Tips cover issues ranging from grammatical topics like Punctuation and Sentence Unity, to story-focused topics such as Outlining Your Plot and Active Versus Reactive Characters, to publication topics such as Standard Manuscript Format and Frequently Asked Questions about Literary Agents.
- Just for Fun: This resource provides quick, easy writing exercises and ideas to help get your creative juices flowing, to give you ideas, and to help you focus on various specific aspects of your writing. Check in periodically for new entries.
- Links: Our links page helps to connect you with other helpful writing sites.
- E-Newsletter: Our newsletter provides the latest information on all Odyssey programs and events, as well as writing and publishing advice, news about Odyssey graduates, and alerts about new markets, agents, and resources. It is sent out about four times per year.
- For Graduates: Many resources are offered for graduates of the Odyssey Writing Workshop and the Odyssey Online Classes, including email discussion groups and critique groups allowing you to keep in touch with classmates, discuss writing issues, share information, and critique each other's work.
If you are a writer, know a writer, or enjoy good writing, please support Odyssey and its mission to help fantasy, science fiction, and horror writers take their work to the next level. Odyssey has made a difference in the lives of many writers, but we can only do it with your help.
There are several easy ways you can support Odyssey:
- Make a Donation: This page explains how you can easily make a donation to Odyssey through credit card, PayPal, check, or money order.
- Cool Merchandise: You can support Odyssey's mission by purchasing fun Odyssey merchandise. New items are offered periodically, each item for a limited time only.
- GoodSearch: You can raise money for Odyssey simply by using this new Yahoo-powered search engine, which donates half its advertising revenue, about a penny per search, to the charity you designate. With your help, those pennies can add up!
- GoodShop: Do your Internet shopping through this new online shopping mall, which donates up to thirty percent of each purchase to the charity you designate. Hundreds of great stores, including Amazon, Target, Gap, Best Buy, eBay, Macy's and Barnes & Noble, have teamed up with GoodShop, and every time you place an order, you'll be supporting Odyssey.
- Credit Card Rewards: Many credit card companies allow cardholders to use their rewards points to make a cash donation to a nonprofit organization. Check to see if your credit card offers this option.
- Volunteer: You can also support Odyssey by offering to help out in various ways.
The menu to the left will allow you to access much more information about Odyssey and to network with us through Facebook, MySpace, and Twitter.
I founded Odyssey in 1996 because I love working with developing writers, helping them to realize their potential and make their work the best it can be. It's been very exciting to see Odyssey grow, to work with writers from all over the globe, and to follow those writers as they become successful professionals.
Welcome to the Odyssey community. I hope you'll find here the programs and resources that can most help you reach your writing goals.
If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back to the top
Thanks for dropping by!...
Except where noted, Content © 1996 - 2015
Odyssey Writing Workshops Charitable Trust
Site updated Jul 8, 2015
This page modified Apr 12, 2015
send site feedback to