March 16, 2008
what I'm thinking and doing § what I'm listening to § what I'm reading
what I'm writing § retrospective: old journal
Questions taken from Gord Sellars.
1. What bill do you hate paying the most?
Tax bill, definitely. Especially this year and next, when I'll have grant monies that didn't have any tax taken off the top. It's going to hurt.
2. Where was the last place you had a romantic dinner?
Kisaku, a nearby sushi restaurant.
3. Do you regret losing your virginity to who you lost it to?
Definitely. It was a date rape. I'd only known him a couple of days. The experience messed me up for quite a few years, though luckily I didn't let it stop me from experiencing sex with people I wanted to experience it with.
4. If you could go back and change one thing what would it be?
I would have run far away from the person involved in #3. Except the domino effect shaped a lot of my late teenage years that were a big part of making me who I am now, which I wouldn't change.
5. Name of your first grade teacher?
Mrs...um...Mrs... Damn, I just don't remember either of them anymore (we moved in the middle of Grade One).
6. What do you really want to be doing right now?
Sitting on the loveseat, be-catted and with Jim, a fire in the fireplace and a good book in my hand.
7. What did you want to be when you were growing up?
I've always wanted to write, but I also thought I would be a teacher. Though I writer, instead of teaching I'm an academic advisor.
8. How many universities/colleges did you attend?
Two: the University of Victoria, and the University of Montana. One degree from each place.
9. Why did you choose the shirt that you have on right now?
Wearing a dress, and I chose it because I hadn't worn it in a while and it's really comfortable, even if it is a little boring-looking compared to most of my dresses.
10. Gas/petrol prices?
One day we'll be paying what it really costs us. I hope by then there's better public transportation where I live, though it seems likely that the price will hit and hurt first.
11. If you could move anywhere and take someone with you, where would it be?
Somewhere on the northwest coast where there's unspoiled beach and forest (enough money would provide itself, right?)
12. First thought when the alarm went this morning?
Wow! I slept through till Jim's alarm rang! First time in weeks.
13. Last thought before going to sleep last night?
I love it when the kittens fall asleep under the blankets with us.
14. Favorite style of underwear.
Whatever is the most comfortable. Comfort over style, any day.
15. What errand/chore do you despise?
Gardening. I don't know why, but planting and watering and weeding really makes me mad. I can handle deadheading and a few other gardening tasks but most of it puts me in a bad mood like nothing else. Luckily Jim rarely makes me help him with it. (I guess he's learned over the years--good thing he enjoys gardening.)
16. If you didn't have to work, would you volunteer?
Definitely. I volunteer even though I do have to work.
17. Get up early or sleep in?
Sleep in sleep in sleep in!
18. What is your favorite cartoon character(s)?
The cats in Sylvia. They remind me of mine. Lazy smart asses.
19. Favorite thing to do at night with a girl or guy?
Cuddle in front of the fire.
20. Have you found real love yet?
I must have. Despite being together over 27 years we're still together after 27 years. Can there be a better definition of true love?
21. When did you first start feeling old?
Last October, when I turned 49 and realized I'm going to be 50 soon. My age has never bothered me before, but somehow 50 just seems...old. Oldish. Older. Not 40.
22. Favorite 80's movie?
I'm trying to think of 80s movies. Probably Diva. That was the 80s, right?
23. Your favorite lunch meat?
Really rare Private Select Angus beef from QFArts.
24. What do you get every time you go into Sam's Club?
We go to Costco two or three times a year, and every time we go, we get toilet paper. And usually CDR and DVD blanks.
25. Beach or lake?
Beach. Beach beach beach. Lake in a pinch, though. Or river. I like rivers because they're heading to the sea.
26. Do you think marriage is an outdated ritual?
Before I got married I would have said definitely. But now? I shrug. I don't get as worried about things like that as I did in my early 20s. I feel outdated but not particularly oppressed, and I get all sentimental when people I know get married, but I can't understand spending tens of thousands of dollars on it. That's insane.
27. Favorite guilty pleasure?
Computer solitaire. I'm addicted and can't manage to bore myself out of it. I've tried. I'll stop for a couple of days and start up again. I alternate between two games.
28. Favorite movie you wouldn't want anyone to find out about?
Sneaky question. Okay. Except I can't think of any I'm that embarrassed about. I admit to liking Austen movies and romances like Truly Madly Deeply. I'll admit that I love Monty Python and the Holy Grail and every time it ends, it startles me and I can't believe that's the end. I've probably seen it at least a dozen times and I own it, and still...
29. What's your drink?
I have several drinks, though I don't drink much: pear cider, Lagavulin (single-malt Scotch), and I sometimes like a little glass of Bailey's Irish Creme with Devin and Tamar.
Non-alcoholic, it's Jim's Mexican mochas that he makes me nearly daily (yes, I'm spoiled), tea of various kinds, both black and herbal (not a huge green tea fan), and 100% juices, which to Jim's disgust I frequently drink right out of the plastic bottle in the fridge. I mean, even if I didn't he'd never touch it, so what does it matter? I am careful not have drunk from any juice that I serve to guests, though. After all, I wouldn't want them to serve it to me if they did the same.
30. Cowboys or Indians?
31. Cops or Robbers?
32. Who from high school would you like to run into?
Is it lame that I can't think of anyone? By the time I hit high school my life was outside high school, and the one person I'd like to still be in touch with I sort of am.
33. What radio station is your car radio tuned to right now?
KUOW, the university's public radio station.
34. Worst relationship mistake that you wish you could take back?
Not being able to let go gracefully of the first person I really fell in love with.
35. Do you like the person who sits directly across from you at work?
There are four of us whose offices all open into a conference room. I enjoy all three of the people there. We have fun conversations, but don't let them go on too long.
36. What famous person would you like to have dinner with?
Famous and dead: Chaucer would have been a laugh, I think. Not sure about famous and alive.
37. Have you ever had to use a fire extinguisher for its intended purpose?
38. Last book you read?
Sara Zarr's young adult novel Story of a Girl.
39. Do you have a teddy bear?
Yes. It's a panda, and when you tip him, he growls. He lives in a box with a couple of my other old stuffed toys I can't bring myself to part with.
40. Strangest place you have ever brushed your teeth?
I can't think of any place that was exactly strange.
41. Somewhere in California you've never been and would like to go?
I finally went to Big Sur a few years ago and I've been in a redwood forest and to San Francisco, so I can't think of any place. I'd like to go to those places again. I can think of places in California I haven't been to and don't care to go to. That doesn't count, I know. The desert? Though I'd rather go to Arizona for that, I think.
42. Do you go to church?
Only when obliged to. I think the last time I was in a church was for a coworker's wife's funeral, and that was years ago now.
43. At this point in your life would you rather start a new career or a new relationship?
Career. I'm actually trying to start a career as a novelist right now.
44. Just how OLD are you?
49 for the first time. Weren't you paying attention?
last week's thinking and doing § next week's thinking and doing
No info here.
last week's listening § next week's listening
None here, either.
last week's reading § next week's reading
last week's writing § next week's writing
last week's old journal § next week's old journal
Last Week § Les Semaines index § Next Week
Email comments, questions, and complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org § Neile's main page
1645 people have wandered through this week with me