June 1, 2008
what I'm thinking and doing § what I'm listening to § what I'm reading
what I'm writing § retrospective: old journal
So, you might think, after basically disappearing for three months, that I would be coming back to tell you that I have written five novels, 55 poems, entirely caught up with my email, and saved the world. Ahem. However, what I have been doing is basically the same as what I was doing when I was keeping this journal up to date. That is: not so very much as I should have been, except this time constantly missing the Sunday "deadline" to get a journal entry up. I wrote the starts to many entries (most of them in my head). I finished none of them.
What have I done? It's hard to recall, really, because I've been getting older every day and my memory is not what it was.
So, for now, here's Sunday Five via Stephanie Burgis.
What were you doing five years ago?
Good thing I've got my journal to check! I was in Arbanasi, Bulgaria, where I wrote and walked and got all dreamy about birdsong in a hammock and got tricked by a firefly.
What are five things on your to-do list for today (not in any particular order)?
What are five snacks you enjoy?
- Write a journal entry because my Mom asked me to
- Write some Clarion West related email messages
- Keep the kittens awake because they kept us awake this morning (this is an experiment to see if they will sleep in if they get less day sleep--the 4:00 a.m. crazies are driving us crazy!)
- Work on a poem about salmon
- Finish a review for The Ectophiles' Guide to Good Music
What five things would you do if you were a billionaire?
- Jazz or Pink Lady apples
- Graham crackers (no comments, you!)
- Rice crackers
- Berries from our garden (soon! The raspberries are starting to flower!)
- Scones and tea
What are five of your bad habits?
- Give Clarion West an endowment
- Give a heap of money to Médecins Sans Frontières, Mercy Corps, Northwest Harvest, Artist Trust, and a bunch of other places I'm only able to give a little money to now
- Buy a writing cottage on the west coast of Scotland and another someplace on the west coast here
- Arrange money to have the people I love taken care of and make their lives easier (but hopefully not in instrusive ways)
- On her Sunday Five Stephanie wrote: "put together an incredible library in my mansion/castle, complete with deep, comfy seats, a fireplace, and of course rows and rows of gleaming wooden bookshelves so high they require a ladder to get to the top shelves" and that sounds heavenly to me.
What are five places where you have lived?
- Wasting time on the Internet
- Procrastinating on errands, chores, and jobs
- Building mental blocks about things I should be doing instead of doing them
- Reading when I should be sleeping
- Complaining about things that aren't worth complaining about
What are five jobs you've had?
- Winnipeg, Manitoba
- Victoria, B.C.
- Missoula, Montana
- London, Ontario
last week's thinking and doing § next week's thinking and doing
- Receptionist at an alcoholic treatment center
- Secretary/travel clerk at an astrophysical observatory (I got to send people to amazing places and type papers called "The Age and Size of the Universe")
- Teaching freshman composition
- Counseling Services Coordinator
- Workshop Administrator
Someone on the ecto list discovered a great band, Tychonaut, so I've tracking down their hard-to-find music. They're sorta folky, pop electronic and the lead singer has a slightly Kate Bush-like voice but without the harsh edges.
Gabriel Yacoub has a new and lovely album out and Camille has a new and totally fun, playful, experimental new album out called Music Hole. Coincidentally, they're both French.
last week's listening § next week's listening
Recent reads include (I think I've forgotten some):
- Paul Park - A Princess of Roumania (re-read, adult fantasy)
- Laura Resau - Red Glass (young adult)
- Alma Alexander - Spellspam (young adult fantasy)
- Sara Zarr - Sweethearts (young adult)
- Judith Clarke - Kalpana's Dream (young adult, kinda fantasy)
- Judith Clarke - One Whole and Perfect Day
- Judith Clarke - Starry Night (young adult fantasy)
- Mary E. Pearson - The Adoration of Jenna Fox (young adult SF)
- Kaoru Mori - Emma (young adult graphic novel series)
- Maureen Johnson - Suite Scarlett (young adult)
- Maureen Johnson - Girl At Sea (young adult)
- Barbara Haworth-Attard - Theories of Relativity (young adult)
- Richelle Mead - Frostbite (young adult fantasy)
- Sherry Thomas - Private Arrangements (Romance)
- Georgette Heyer - The Unknown Ajax (Regency Romance)
- Georgette Heyer - Masquerade (Regency Romance)
- Clive Nash - Silver City (young adult fantasy)
- Gene Luen Yang - American Born Chinese (young adult graphic novel)
last week's reading § next week's reading
Working on a slew of poems for the Canada Council project.
The novel is approaching the final climax.
last week's writing § next week's writing
I'm not very retrospective these days.
last week's old journal § next week's old journal
Last Week § Les Semaines index § Next Week
Email comments, questions, and complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org § Neile's main page
1691 people have wandered through this week with me