December 31, 2009
what I'm thinking and doing § what I'm listening to § what I'm reading
what I'm writing § retrospective: old journal
So, we're well beyond thanks and Xmas and leaning toward the New Year. Again, weeks slipped by on me. I have very little of account to say for myself, sorry. We had a good Thanksgiving and Xmas made me very grateful for family, my parents and our nephew, Mark. I'm looking forward to more family tomorrow.
It's approaching midnight, so now I'm thinking about the year that is almost past in its arbitrary 365 days way.
This is the year that was. We got through it. It wasn't the worst year ever, though losing Jim's father was hard. We're still married, employed, financially solvent, mostly healthy. Not so very many of our friends are in the same situation, so we feel very lucky.
We still have dreams and we're still working toward them and hoping for more luck to help them come true.
May your coming year be healthy, prosperous, full of love, friends, and dreams come true.
That's about all there is to say.
last week's thinking and doing § next week's thinking and doing
This was actually a great year for music. We discovered a bunch of new artists and old favourites came up with some great work.
My favourite discovery and favourite CD is definitely
Other favourites this year, in no particular order:
- Bat For Lashes, Two Suns
- Katy Carr, Coquette
- Carina Round, Things You Should Know (ep)
- Jesca Hoop, Hunting My Dress
- Sophie Hunger, Monday's Ghost
- Micachu, Jewellery
- Smoke Fairies (various singles)
- The XX, XX
- The Unthanks, Here's the Tender Coming
- Felix, You Are The One I Pick
- Espers, III
- Imogen Heap, Ellipse
- Emily Jane White, Dark Undercoat
- Nancy Elizabeth, Wrought Iron
- Smoke Fairies
last week's listening § next week's listening
- Sophia Hunger
- The XX
Favourite reads of 2009 (some books probably published in previous years):
Young Adult Favourites
- Sarah Rees Brennan, The Demon's Lexicon
- Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games and Catching Fire
- Jenny Davidson, The Explosionist
- Alison Goodman, Eon: Dragoneye Reborn
- Patrick Ness, The Knife of Never Letting Go and The Ask and the Answer
- Janni Lee Simner, Bones of Faerie
- Maggie Stiefvater, Shiver
- Laini Taylor, Lips Touch: Three Times
I don't think I have tops this year--perhaps The Demon's Lexicon and The Children's Book--but there were lots of other books I enjoyed this year that I didn't list here, including by Elizabeth Scott, Scott Westerfeld, Justine Larbelestier, etc.
- Christopher Barzac, The Love We Share Without Knowing
- A.S. Byatt, The Children's Book
- Geraldine Brooks, People of the Book
- John Crowley, Four Freedoms
- Charles de Lint, The Mystery of Grace
- A.M. Dellamonica, Indigo Springs
- Molly Gloss, The Hearts of Horses
- Hilary Mantel, Wolf Hall
- China Miéville, The City and the City
- Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
last week's reading § next week's reading
last week's writing § next week's writing
- reduced novel by a third (it's now under 100,000 words)
- began reconstruction of poetry manuscript
- revised many newer poems
- sent out 1 story (it's still out)
- sent out 16 batches of poems, out of which
- 2 acceptances, 8 rejections, 7 still no word
- 11 poems published:
- Self-released the CD that was originally released in 2007 by The Alsop Review Press, which has closed down
Raced through the thin entries of 1995 and early 1997, then bogged down in Scotland in June. Hope to continue soon.
last week's old journal § next week's old journal
Last Week § Les Semaines index § Next Week
Email comments, questions, and complaints to email@example.com § Neile's main page
1063 people have wandered through this week with me