- "'No God But Gain': The U.S. - Cuba - Baltic Circuit, 1809 - 1812," forthcoming in Slavery's Capitalism: A New History of American Economic Development, The University of Pennsylvania Press.
- "At Home Among the Dead: North Americans and the 1825 Guamacaro Slave Insurrection," forthcoming inThe Journal of the Early Republic.
- “When the Drumbeat Changes: Morality in Historical Context, Minas Gerais,” March 2010, The Journal of Rethinking History.
- “’Neither Justice Nor Mercy’: Public and Private Executions in Rhode Island, 1832 – 1833,” September 2009, The New England Quarterly.
- “WikiLeaks Reveals a Professionalism of Recent Vintage in the History of American Diplomacy,” distributed to more than 200 metropolitan daily newspapers and other news services in the United States and North America by the History News Service on November 30, 2010.
- “Industrialization,” The Encyclopedia of the Early Republic, August 2010.
- “Graduate School with Children, Parts I, II, and III,” The Chronicle of Higher Education, 2007 –2010.
- “To The Brink: Graduate School, Kids, and Groucho Marx,” Change Magazine, December 2010.
SELECTED HONORS AND AWARDS
- Filson Research Fellowship, Filson Historical Society, 2011.
- Best Original Scholarship and Field Contribution, Brown University, 2011.
- J.M. Stuart Fellowship, The John Carter Brown Library, 2010 – 2011.
- Cuban Heritage Collection Research Fellowship, The University of Miami,
2010 - 2011.
- Skidmore Travel Fund Research Award, Brown University, 2011.
- Travel Research Grant, Graduate School, Brown University, 2011.
- McLouglin Conference Grant, American Historical Association, Brown University, 2011.
- External Fellowship Incentive Grant, Graduate School, Brown University, 2011.
- International Affairs Travel Grant, Department of International Affairs, Brown University, 2011.
- Tinker Field Research Grant, Center for Latin American and Caribbean
Studies, Brown University, 2010.
- Joukowsky Family Fellowship, Brown University, 2010 – 2011.
- Graduate Teaching Fellowship, Brown University, 2008 – 2010.
- Research Assistantship, Brown University, Summer 2008.
- Roger Williams Fellowship, Brown University, 2007 – 2008.